My husband and I were married on the first Saturday in May which happens to be the day of the Kentucky Derby each year. So back in 2012 we ended up making two big bets and both turned out to be winners!
From then forward we’ve celebrated our anniversary on Kentucky Derby Day regardless of the date. And part of that celebration is a healthy wager on the race. I’m happy to report we are 6 for 6 picking the winners!
The 2018 Kentucky Derby has some really good horses so picking one this year will be a challenge. Here are some fun facts about the Kentucky Derby to get you in the mood:
- 19 winners names began with the letter “S.”
- Only three horses raced in 1892.
- 120,000 mint juleps are consumed at the track.
- There will be 80,000 people in the infield alone…enough to make Churchill Downs Kentucky’s third largest city for one day.
- 40 fillies have raced in the Kentucky Derby…three have won.
- Nine gelding winners lost out on a big stud fee payday…most recently Mine That Bird and Funny Cide.
- No winner ever emerged from post 17.
- The fastest Kentucky Derby time was Secretariat in 1973. Secretariat also holds the fastest time for the Preakness and Belmont.
- 36% of post time favorites have won since 1908…but 5 of the last 5.
- In 2005 Giacomo won at 50-1 leading to the largest Kentucky Derby superfecta (pick top 4) payout ever…$864,000 paid on a $1 bet!
Good luck all, have fun and enjoy the race!
Image: PandamicPhoto.com via Wikimedia Commons