Welcome to Desert Insurance Solution’s page about Palm Springs, California and issues related to Palm Springs homeowners insurance! For information about Desert Insurance Solutions, visit our home page here.
Palm Springs is a beautiful desert resort town located on the west end of Southern California’s Coachella Valley, 107 miles east of Los Angeles. Palm Springs is vibrant year round but also attracts many seasonal visitors and second home owners with its 348 warm sunny days per year. First developed in the 1900’s when health tourists arrived looking for dry heat getaway, Palm Springs evolved into a Hollywood hideaway with stars buying homes in upscale neighborhoods like the Movie Colony and Las Palmas. Palm Springs has experienced a renaissance in recent years and is now home to over 130 hotels of various sizes and over 100 restaurants. Palm Springs has a reputation for great weather, mid-century modern architecture, being LGBTQ-friendly, and having fun things to do. Today Palm Springs has more than 50,000 residents enjoying life nestled in the shade of the Mount San Jacinto.
Things to Do in Palm Springs
Palm Springs has plenty to do for the active! Hiking, biking and parks are all embraced. The main places to dine and shop are up and down the walkable Palm Canyon and Indian Canyon Drives. Palm Springs features a great selection of diverse restaurants and hidden laid back hotel bars, but many residents and visitors want nothing more than to just sip a cocktail while floating in their sunny pool.
Fun attractions in Palm Springs include the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway, the Palm Springs Air Museum and the Agua Caliente Spa Resort Casino. Events include the Palm Springs International Film Festival and Modernism Week. Nearby cites host The American Express PGA Tournament, the ANA Inspiration LPGA Tournament, BNP Paribas Tennis Tournaments, Iron Man, La Quinta and Indian Wells Art Festivals, the Coachella Music Festival, Stagecoach Music Festival and world class polo.
And it’s only a short drive east through Rancho Mirage, Palm Desert, Indian Wells to La Quinta…all places with their own personalities, great shopping, fine dining and more fun things to see and do!
Places To Live Palm Springs
Many Palm Springs residents live in distinctive single family homes with some architectural significance, tucked back in various “neighborhoods” located near the city’s cultural attractions. Condos are becoming more popular with second home owners from LA. People looking for a golf/country club lifestyle generally live “down-Valley” (east), where there are more golf courses and available land.
Palm Springs Homeowners Insurance Issues
Palm Springs is a great place to live, but there are some unique Palm Springs homeowners insurance issues that you should be sure to address:
- High Value Homes. Many of the various Palm Springs “neighborhoods” have homes valued at over $1mm. Homeowners at this level of net worth have unique liability exposures.
- Multiple Homes. Many Palm Springs homeowners live elsewhere in the hot summers. There are significant benefits to consolidating insurance, but to do that your agent needs to be licensed in multiple states.
- Earthquake. Palm Springs is located near the San Andreas Fault so earthquake insurance options should be considered.
- Wildfire Risk. Most of Palm Springs is not exposed to wildfire risk, but some areas along the mountain sides have a moderate risk rating. Certain insurance carriers are pricing large regions of Southern California for elevated wildfire risk regardless of fire history.
- Pools. Pools in Palm Springs may have different fencing requirements than other parts of the country.
- Vacation Rentals. Palm Springs vacation rentals are subject to licensing, taxes and rules. If you’re renting your house out, you need special insurance.
- Condo Form. If your free-standing home is legal form condominium and your HOA provides insurance on the structure without earthquake insurance, you can’t get earthquake insurance added to that policy for your individual home.
Bottom Line on Palm Springs Homeowners Insurance
Palm Springs is a great place to buy a home and live, especially in the fall, winter and spring. But there are a number of insurance issues, especially for high value multiple homeowners. The answer for insurance is Desert Insurance Solutions: an award-winning independent insurance broker, licensed in all states and located just down the road in nearby La Quinta!
Call us today at 760-564-6800 or click here to learn more.