Welcome to Desert Insurance Solution’s page about Scottsdale, Arizona and issues related to Scottsdale homeowners insurance! For information about Desert Insurance Solutions, visit our home page here.
Scottsdale is a beautiful desert city located just northeast of Phoenix, Arizona. Scottsdale is vibrant year round but also attracts many seasonal visitors and second home owners with its 300 sunny days per year. First incorporated in the 1951 with just 2,000 residents, Scottsdale now has more than 250,000 full time residents and continues to grow rapidly. Tourism is a big industry in Scottsdale, but the region has attracted many other industries, especially to the “Airpark” area in North Scottsdale where more than 55,000 people are employed.
Things to Do in Scottsdale
Scottsdale has won awards for quality of life and has plenty to do for the active! Hiking, biking and parks are all embraced. Scottsdale is a golf mecca. Scottsdale features a great selection of diverse restaurants and interesting bars, especially in the charming and vibrant “Old Town” area.
Fun events in Scottsdale include the Scottsdale Arts Festival, the Scottsdale Arabian Horse Show, the Barrett-Jackson Auto Show, the Waste Management Open PGA Tournament and myriad art galleries, boutique hotels, destination spas and casinos throughout. Scottsdale Fashion Square is Arizona’s premiere mall.
And it’s only a short drive to Phoenix and other neighboring towns for access to an international airport, professional sports, and beyond.
Places To Live In Scottsdale
Scottsdale has defined city limits along the East 101 Loop, but many people refer to the entire area northeast of Phoenix as “Scottsdale.” The area can be visualized as a layered from south to north. The south layer just north of ASU is being revitalized from its working class roots. The next layer, “Old Town”, is home to many shops, restaurants and nightclubs. Next is “Central” (Shea Corridor) that has many resorts and homes built in the 1970’s. This area is a prime location so there are active teardown/rebuilds taking place. It also includes major developments such as Gainey and McCormick Ranch. Finally comes North Scottsdale which includes Airpark and Kierland Commons, and many newly built higher end homes.
As Scottsdale rapidly grows, residential development is also active around Scottsdale: to the east in Paradise Valley, to the west in Fountain Hills, and to the north around Carefree all the way up to Desert Mountain which abuts the Tonto National Forest. Rapid growth has caused development in Scottsdale to take place over a wide area, and it also has resulted in a lot of traffic. So if you’re buying a home in Scottsdale and commuting, location and traffic patterns should be a primary consideration.
Scottsdale Homeowners Insurance Issues
Scottsdale is a great place to live, but there are some unique Scottsdale homeowners insurance issues you should be sure to address:
- High Value Homes. Many of the various Scottsdale areas mentioned above have homes valued at over $1mm. Homeowners at this level of net worth have unique liability exposures.
- Multiple Homes. Many Scottsdale homeowners live elsewhere in the hot summers. There are significant benefits to consolidating insurance, but to do that your agent needs to be licensed in multiple states.
- Earthquake. Scottsdale is not exposed to earthquake risk. However, Scottsdale has ground surface features (hard top layer, soft underneath) that can result in sinkholes, which are considered earth movement and not covered by standard homeowners insurance.
- Wildfire Risk. Much of Scottsdale is not exposed to wildfire risk, but some areas along mountain sides have a moderate risk rating.
- Flood. Arizona is the number one state for flood losses outside a designated flood zone. Monsoon driven flash floods can surprise and overflow washes.
- Pools. Pools in Scottsdale may have different fencing requirements than other parts of the country.
- Vacation Rentals. Scottsdale vacation rentals are subject to licensing, taxes and rules. If you’re renting your house out, you need special insurance.
Bottom Line On Scottsdale Homeowners Insurance
Scottsdale is a great place to buy a home and live but there are a number of insurance issues, especially for high value multiple homeowners. The answer for insurance is Desert Insurance Solutions: an award-winning independent insurance broker, licensed in all states, with offices right here in Scottsdale and La Quinta, California!
Call us today at 480-477-8043 or 760-564-6800, or click here to learn more.